geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ${project.version} is a problem..
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:31:53 GMT

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Rex Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suggest we stop using ${project.version} in 3.0's pom.
> This maven variable will magicly change when I create a new sub-project which has it
own version.
> For example,
> When I create a new server assembly "abc" under the assemblies project, and the abc's
pom has it own version 3.0.0.0:
>     <parent>
>         <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.assemblies</groupId>
>         <artifactId>assemblies</artifactId>
>         <version>3.0-M1</version>
>     </parent>
>
>     <groupId>c.i.w.assemblies</groupId>
>     <artifactId>abc</artifactId>
>     <version>3.0.0.0</version>
>     <packaging>server-assembly</packaging>
>
> Then, in its effective pom, maven will replace all the ${project.version} defined in
parent pom with 3.0.0.0

> I think we use ${geronimoVersion} instead and specify geronimoVersion explicitly in root
pom.

> Thoughts?

I think this is a really bad idea.  In your example above, you should not have the explicit
version <version>3.0.0.0</version>

Generally, if you want a different version for a particular project, put the project in a
different tree without a file system parent pom.  There are a few special cases like the bundles....
even those probably shouldn't have a file system parent pom (not actually sure if they do
right now).

thanks
david jencks