geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rex Wang <rwo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ${project.version} is a problem..
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 03:32:31 GMT

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Rex Wang wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I suggest we stop using ${project.version} in 3.0's pom.
> This maven variable will magicly change when I create a new sub-project
> which has it own version.
> For example,
> When I create a new server assembly "abc" under the assemblies project, and
> the abc's pom has it own version 3.0.0.0:
>     <parent>
>         <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.assemblies</groupId>
>         <artifactId>assemblies</artifactId>
>         <version>3.0-M1</version>
>     </parent>
>
>     <groupId>c.i.w.assemblies</groupId>
>     <artifactId>abc</artifactId>
>     <version>3.0.0.0</version>
>     <packaging>server-assembly</packaging>
>
> Then, in its effective pom, maven will replace all the ${project.version}
> defined in parent pom with 3.0.0.0
>
> I think we use ${geronimoVersion} instead and specify geronimoVersion
> explicitly in root pom.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> I think this is a really bad idea.  In your example above, you should not
> have the explicit version <version>3.0.0.0</version>
>

> Generally, if you want a different version for a particular project, put
> the project in a different tree without a file system parent pom.

It will save a lot of time to create a custom assembly with geronimo's
parent pom..and if all the sub-poms can not have its version and must use
{project.version}, which is actually the geronimo root pom's version. What's
the difference/risk between using a geronimoVersion property and that?
Actually, geronimoVersion has already been used in 3.0-m1 & trunk...

-Rex

--
Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org