geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCDI and Bean Validation TCKs
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:19:26 GMT

On Jul 20, 2010, at 3:05 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
>> My main concern is that if we move the JCDI and Bean Validation
>> porting code to public svn location then we will effectively have two
>> mailing lists for discussing tck issues, two jira places for filing
>> and tracking tck challenges, possibly two wiki places for tck info,
>> etc. And we will have to be extra careful to discuss a given tck
>> problem on the right list... and sooner or later somebody will use the
>> wrong list.
>> Yes, it would be nice to have this stuff in open but I'm just
>> wondering how much headache it will be to keep track of it all and
>> maintain it.
>
> I think its going to be significantly harder to maintain out in the open and there is
much more likelyhood of slips in talking about NDA stuff on public lists, but I don't think
we have any good argument for keeping the harnesses for these tcks in the private svn.  IMO
ideally all the tcks would be public so I feel a bit morally obligated to put anything that
can be public, in public.

Good discussion. My preference would be to err on the side of openness. So, would prefer to
see the harnesses in public svn and documentation on public Wiki. I think we can maintain
any actual TCK challenges using TCK Jira and TCK mailing list (i.e. use the existing mechanisms
for ASF communications with Oracle). Would assume that most challenges would have been preceded
by a public discussion...

If we mess up and accidentally reveal some private TCK information, then so be it. Accidents
have (and will) happen. In my experience, you can find a lot more TCK private information
on Sun/Oracle's bug reports then we've ever revealed. Not saying we should ignore the issue.
Just saying we shouldn't lose much sleep over it, either...

-- kevan