geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject javassist-3.7 still in use?
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:30:11 GMT
Hi folks!

Sorry for the crosspost to 2 lists, but this info might be interesting for both of you.

I saw that servicemix and geronimo both still use javassist-3.7.

I would strongly recommend upgrading all projects (where possible) to the newest version 3.12.0.GA.
These old versions of javassist may create huge mem leaks [1][2][3].

Sadly 3.12.0.GA is not yet uploaded to maven.central, but this is work in progress (will take
a few weeks since Pete Muir is on vacation).
The artifact is available in the JBoss.brew repo:

    <repositories>
        <!-- TODO: this must get removed once javassist is released to maven.central -->
        <repository>
            <id>jboss.brew</id>
            <url>http://repository.jboss.org/maven2-brew</url>
            <releases>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
            </releases>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>false</enabled>
            </snapshots>
        </repository>
    </repositories>

To show the difference:
With the old javassist version, my real world app lost more than 1MB PermGenSpace each page
hit (due to heavy use of interceptors and stuff). This is gone with javassist-3.12.0.GA.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://community.jboss.org/thread/148815
[2] http://community.jboss.org/thread/149524