geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javassist-3.7 still in use?
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:54:27 GMT
On 7/6/2010 7:30 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Sorry for the crosspost to 2 lists, but this info might be interesting for both of you.
>
> I saw that servicemix and geronimo both still use javassist-3.7.
>
> I would strongly recommend upgrading all projects (where possible) to the newest version
3.12.0.GA. These old versions of javassist may create huge mem leaks [1][2][3].

Geronimo's use of javassist is driven entirely by openwebbeans.  This
will get updated once openwebbeans is updated.

Rick

> Sadly 3.12.0.GA is not yet uploaded to maven.central, but this is work in progress (will
take a few weeks since Pete Muir is on vacation).
> The artifact is available in the JBoss.brew repo:
>
>      <repositories>
>          <!-- TODO: this must get removed once javassist is released to maven.central
-->
>          <repository>
>              <id>jboss.brew</id>
>              <url>http://repository.jboss.org/maven2-brew</url>
>              <releases>
>                  <enabled>true</enabled>
>              </releases>
>              <snapshots>
>                  <enabled>false</enabled>
>              </snapshots>
>          </repository>
>      </repositories>
>

> To show the difference:
> With the old javassist version, my real world app lost more than 1MB PermGenSpace each
page hit (due to heavy use of interceptors and stuff). This is gone with javassist-3.12.0.GA.