geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From chi runhua <chirun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] How to display help informations on the Console
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 02:49:02 GMT
Thanks for the comments, please find my input inlines.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Bill Stoddard <wgstoddard@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 6/14/10 10:01 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
>
>> #1-3 are good usability improvements.
>>
>> Can we use Dojo for #4-6?  Seems hover help would be the best option, as
>> adding an example beside/below every field could require a lot of screen
>> area and doesn't cover the cases for links (like
>> Start/Stop/Restart/Delete....).  Also, the portlet help page should
>> include the same text as the hoover help (which should be the same
>> resource strings), plus additional help text if needed.

Agree~!

>> #7 requires us to stop reorganizing the User Docs and would mean we
>> couldn't rename pages.  If we go this route, we should include a hidden
>> comment on each doc page with a reference back to the portlet that has a
>> link to it, so we know not to rename the page unless the portlet link is
>> updated too.
>>

> Connecting the documentation and console will be expensive to maintain.
>
> As a general principle, I would suggest carefully weighing the 'opportunity
> cost' of adding new features to the server that require on-going
> maintenance.  Each added feature that requires on-going maintenance takes
> time away from other potentially more important work.  Over time as more
> 'on-going' maintenance requirements accumulate, the development team spends
> more and more effort to just tending to the maintenance; less time is spent
> on innovation and keeping current with technology trends.
>
> Bill

Agree~!.

An alternative of #7 is to provide the linkage to doc index page instead of
matching the exact page on the top panel of doc.  But in the code level, we
could define different keys for different portlets for future improvements.
All those keys use the same value for each release, for example:

For 2.2, use https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/
For 3.0, use https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/

The alternative provides the users a short-cut to Geronimo doc site from
console and possibilities to implement #7 for exact match.

Jeff