geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] How to display help informations on the Console
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:27:16 GMT

On Jun 13, 2010, at 1:53 AM, chi runhua wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I noticed that there are 2 different styles to display help information on the Admin
Console:
>    a.  Using help.jsp  when coding  and you can only see it after clicking the question
mark on the top-right corner of the portlet, meanwhile, you lose the focus but can come back
after another click <-; for example EJB Server portlet
>    b.  Put the help message on the portlet together with those fields, users can refer
to the description and input the correct value at the same time, which is more clear and efficient,
such as database pool wizard.   But if there are lots of fields on the panel, the UI could
be a mess and overwhelming.

> What about we try to unify the style of help infos and improving it in the coming CE
3.0?

> Here are a few of thoughts for discussion:
>
>        1.  For the fields requires user selection, they should have a default value ready;
>        2.  Labels must be consistent across the console;
>        3.  For each portlet, we should have a description directly on the top to summarize
its major features;
>        4.  For the fields requires user input, an example should be provided right below
instead of its detailed description;
>        5.  For checkboxes, we should use hover help to introduce its usage;
>        6.  For the description of each field, use help.jsp when coding, but we should
use pop-up panel;
>        7.  Document should be connected with the console more closely, for example, users
can refer to document about tasks related to the current portlet instantly instead of googling
by themselves.

> Any comments?

These all look like great ideas to me!

thanks