geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] change 2.2 branch build JDK from 6 to 5
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:11:49 GMT
I thought there was an earlier discussion about some component using new
security features of Java SE 6, but can't find that thread now....

Maybe Shawn can give more details as to why we should consider the move.

-Donald

On 6/17/10 12:26 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> On 6/17/2010 11:20 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
>>> I'd be fine with requiring Java SE 6 for 2.2.1 and follow-on releases.
>>>

>> Is that even allowed by the Java EE 5 certification rules?
>
> Yes, but I don't think it really matters. I don't think we have any real motivation to
move to Java 6 -- there aren't Java 6 features that we're planning on taking advantage of...
It's simply someone "built" on Java 6 and found that they had problems subsequently "running"
on Java 5.

> IMO, we should be building on Java 5 (maintaining support for Java 5), if users want
to run on Java 6, that's fine...