geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r942204 - in /geronimo/server/trunk/framework/configs/karaf-framework/src/main/distribution: unix-shell/bin/client unix-shell/bin/deploy unix-shell/bin/geronimo unix-shell/bin/karaf unix-shell/bin/setjavaenv.sh windows-text/bin/karaf.
Date Sat, 08 May 2010 03:57:29 GMT
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, we've already confused all the 2.2 users who got used to starting geronimo using
the gsh script.

I don't think many people used gshell or gshell commands to start
geronimo. I think most of geronimo users use "geronimo" and "deploy"
scripts.

> I'd like to attract karaf users who are used to starting karaf with the karaf script.
 One of my longer term goals is to make geronimo more and more into a bunch of stuff running
on karaf.  So, I regard the various tomcat like geronimo scripts as legacy and deprecated.

Well, I think we should discuss this direction in the community first
before doing anything about it. Also, I don't know why we would need
to attract karaf users in the first place. I certainly don't want to
start geronimo server by executing "karaf" script or seeing "welcome
to karaf" type of messages after starting the server.
Karaf was a good starting point for Geronimo for the conversion to
OSGi but I don't think we have to completely rebase Geronimo on top of
karaf. So far we have been taking bits and pieces of karaf and
integrating it with Geronimo. I think that approach makes sense now.

Jarek