geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Adding OSGi support to Geronimo spec jars.
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 00:04:23 GMT

On May 25, 2010, at 3:17 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> 2) The ProviderLocator. This is how APIs that need to resolve providers access the registry
information. The provider registry is an OSGi service, so the ProviderLocator needs a bundle
context instance to resolve the service instance. The Activator manages obtaining the bundle
context at activation and setting up a service tracker to give access to the registry service.
The ProviderLocator code manages the details of locating a loading a service instance and
will revert to classic classpath behavior if used outside of an OSGi environment.

On this note, I'm trying to determine what the performance impact might be in a large OSGi
environment.  Looks like the Activator always enables a ServiceTracker and that tracker appears
to look for the ProviderRegistry service on every call.

Is that a correct and do you have any idea what the general contract on ServiceTracker.getService()
might be?  Not sure if that's a quick call or might slow down the more bundles you have.

-David