geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Forrest Xia <forres...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reenable testsuite in G 2.2 branch
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 07:53:02 GMT
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I think the problem we are trying to solve is, "how do we run a bunch of
> integration test maven projects"
>
> I'm still a little fuzzy on what's going on with the testsuite.  What I
> think is that in 2.1 we used the genesis maven-maven-plugin, and jason
> dillon worked on it some more and turned it into the codehaus
> shitty-maven-plugin which was used during 2.2 development.  It's much more
> sophisticated than the maven-maven-plugin so given a choice between the two
> I'd say we should use the shitty-maven-plugin. I don't think the
> shitty-maven-plugin is being very actively maintained.
>
> I don't see much evidence that the shitty-maven-plugin is actually
> configured in 2.2 or trunk.  Maybe I didn't look in the right place.

I do not look into much on shitty plugin. Though I see it in 2.2 testsuite
pom, I don't think it was well configured to run 2.2 testsuite.

> There is a third choice that I don't think was available when 2.2 was
> started, the maven-invoker-plugin.  This is definitely supported and I think
> we should try to use it.

I just take a look at the invoker plugin, and get a feeling it uses the
conventions that is not the one that our geronimo testsuite uses. For
example, it organize its self integration test just in one maven project,
under the directory "src/it", but our geronimo testsuite is composed of many
maven projects. So the layout convention is totally different. If we want to
move to invoker plugin, we might have to change the basic layout of our
testsuite, and it will cost too much time to achieve that(even there is a
might it cannot work totally :-)

> I wonder if we should divide the tests into two groups, those that test
> starting and stopping the server, and those that require a running server
> (and don't stop it).  While I think that the start-stop tests probably have
> to be run in order, I'd think that all the other test projects could
> probably be run in parallel. (a maven 3 feature).

I do not see there is a test case which require start/stop server in its
execution. So I think all of the test cases just require a running server.

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> So back to the question "how do we run a bunch of integration test maven
projects"? I think the answer is using maven-maven-plugin, though it's not
the standard maven way, at least it works for our current geronimo
testsuites. I've verified that in my working copy.

regards, Forrest