geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Runtime entity enhancement for OSGi applications
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 21:12:35 GMT

On May 19, 2010, at 1:41 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 4:28 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> On May 19, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>>> Good summary Lin.
>>> In the OpenJPA community, we've been telling users for awhile now not to
>>> use the runtime enhancement, as it has known deficiencies, and should
>>> only be used for quick prototyping and never in production.
>> What are these deficiencies?  I thought you got the same bytecode whether you ran
the enhancer using maven or as the classes are loaded using a class transformer.  I know the
subclassing approach doesn't work well but that is not being discussed here AFAIK.
> Right. I hope Donald is referring to the subclassing approach. Which I agree/understand
is "deficient" (we've seen instances of this).
>> Is this stuff documented clearly somewhere in the openjpa docs?  I've never found
a comprehensible explanation when I've looked in the past.
> Try this --
> I don't follow section 2.2.

I think you mean, but this is the explanation I've found that to me is difficult to
understand.  I guess the ee5 runtime hooks they refer to are the method on PersistenceUnitInfo
(provided by the container) where the provider can try to install a transformer.

david jencks

> --kevan

View raw message