geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Runtime entity enhancement for OSGi applications
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 20:41:31 GMT

On May 19, 2010, at 4:28 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Donald Woods wrote:
>
>> Good summary Lin.
>>
>> In the OpenJPA community, we've been telling users for awhile now not to
>> use the runtime enhancement, as it has known deficiencies, and should
>> only be used for quick prototyping and never in production.
>
> What are these deficiencies?  I thought you got the same bytecode whether you ran the
enhancer using maven or as the classes are loaded using a class transformer.  I know the subclassing
approach doesn't work well but that is not being discussed here AFAIK.

Right. I hope Donald is referring to the subclassing approach. Which I agree/understand is
"deficient" (we've seen instances of this).

> Is this stuff documented clearly somewhere in the openjpa docs?  I've never found a comprehensible
explanation when I've looked in the past.

Try this -- http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/2.0.0/apache-openjpa-2.0.0/docs/manual/main.html

I don't follow section 2.2.

--kevan