geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Possible build tweaks
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 16:12:55 GMT

On May 1, 2010, at 10:38 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> I must say that I never really trusted pom import scope mainly because
> of http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4052. The bug is resolved but I
> just ran into the same (or similar) problem with Maven 2.2.1 and
> trunk. To see the problem remove the
> ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/j2ee/ directory from your
> local repo and try to build trunk from the top in offline mode. Maven
> will attempt to download the j2ee pom before it tires to build
> anything. The same can also be clearly observed in the logs of the
> automatic builds.

The bug is resolved for maven 3, so we should expect it to be a problem for maven 2.2.1.

What would you think of upgrading to maven 3.0-beta1, assuming it works?

thanks
david jencks

> I guess I still don't quite trust pom import scope and I think we
> should try to avoid or minimize our use of it (at least on snapshot
> dependencies).
>
> Jarek
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I think our build is still perhaps more unwieldy than it needs to be.  I wonder if
using the pom import scope more would help:

>> 1. put some large sets of dependencies in dependency management such as in particular
specs into separate "management only" poms

>> 2. put versions of all the subprojects into dependency management of plugin poms...
e.g. for connector_1.6 something like

>>    <dependencyManagement>
>>        <dependencies>
>>
>>            <!-- imports of other plugins -->
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.framework</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>framework</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>                <type>pom</type>
>>                <scope>import</scope>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.plugins</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>j2ee</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>                <type>pom</type>
>>                <scope>import</scope>
>>            </dependency>
>>
>>            <!-- internal dependencies -->
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>client-transaction-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>connector-deployer-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>transaction-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.modules</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>geronimo-connector-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.modules</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>geronimo-connector-builder-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.modules</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>geronimo-transaction-1_6</artifactId>
>>                <version>${version}</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>            <!-- external dependencies -->
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.tranql</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>tranql-connector</artifactId>
>>                <version>1.6-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>
>>            <dependency>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.aries.transaction</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>org.apache.aries.transaction.blueprint</artifactId>
>>                <version>0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>            </dependency>
>>        </dependencies>
>>    </dependencyManagement>
>>

>> I think this makes the build more modular, makes clearer the relationships between
plugins, and would be needed anyway should we decide to release plugins separately.