geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject converting optional imports to dynamic imports
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 03:42:52 GMT
Hi all,

I'm beginning to think that we should convert any optional imports in
our spec jars to dynamic imports. The issue is that the optional
imports are resolved when the bundle is resolved. So if the exporting
bundle is not there at the time the importing bundle is resolved the
optional imports are not wired. And the imports stay unwired even if
the exporting bundle is installed later on. With dynamic imports the
exporting bundle could be installed before or after the importing
bundle is resolved.

Take the management spec as an example. The management spec has an
optional dependency on ejb spec. So for everything to resolve ok, I
need to install ejb spec, jaxrpc spec, and serlvet spec (ejb needs
jaxprc and jaxrpc needs servlet). With the dynamic imports we could
install the management spec without the ejb spec. And once/if the ejb
spec would be installed, the mejb part of the management spec would
work just fine (without bundle refreshes or restarts).

Jarek