geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Forrest Xia <forres...@gmail.com>
Subject About G3.0 Java EE 6 Samples
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 03:18:31 GMT
Hi All,

We prepared some samples regarding Jave EE 6 new features, so far including
these:
1. WebFragment
This sample demonstrate define new features of servlet 3.0 like
web-fragment.xml and use jars with web-fragment.xml
2. JPASample
This sample demonstrate Criteria API in JPA 2.O.
It includes CRUD operations for messages. Also provide rank query for
messages.
It's also a war-based EJB application,all EJB classes are under
WEB-INF/classes directory of the web project.
3. MultipartFile
This file upload system demonstrate Part attribute in servlet 3.0.
4. Converter
This is a simple example demonstrate JSF2.0 with AJAX.
5. Calculator
This is a simple example demonstrate Singleton Session Bean of EJB3.1

6. CustomerDB
This example demonstrate RESTful Service.
7. helloWorld
This example demonstrate annotations for servlets,filters and listeners in
servlet 3.0.
8. JSPResource
This example demonstrate a servlet 3.0 feature.Resource under
META-INF/resources of jar file can be used as they are in the root directory
if the jar file is put inside application's WEB-INF/lib directory.
9. Cviewer
This example demonstrate a servlet 3.0 feature.We can programmatically
register servlets,filters .
10. embeddedEJBTimer
This is a simple example demonstrate EJB3.1 feature:get a EJB Container from
Embedded API.

I would like to contribute them to G samples trunk. However, I have some
rough idea about how to deal with them in samples trunk code base:
1. Do we need to name a Java EE 6 subproject under samples directory and put
all of these into the subproject like this?
.
|-- LICENSE
|-- NOTICE
|-- buildutil
|-- geronimo-samples-archetype
|-- pom.xml
|-- samples
|   |-- DataCDInfo
|   |-- all-samples
|   |-- app-per-port
|   |-- async-http
|   |-- bank
|   |-- calculator
|   |-- csa-activemq
|   |-- customer
|   |-- dbtester
|   |-- inventory
|   |-- jaxws-calculator
|   |-- jms-mdb
|   |-- jsp-examples
|   |-- ldap-sample-app
|   |-- myphonebook
|   |-- mytime
|   |-- pom.xml
|   |-- sample-datasource
|   |-- sendmail
|   |-- servlet-examples
|   |-- timereport
*|   `--JavaEE6
|        |--Converter
|        |--...*
`-- src
    `-- site

Or just add them directly under samples? As you can see that some Java EE 6
samples are based on existing ones(such as calculator). I personally prefer
the former, since it gives user a clear view about where to look for Java EE
6 samples.

2. Shall we turn all of these samples into OSGi bundles? or just make Java
EE 6 ones as bundles and keep existing ones unchanged?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards,
Forrest