geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven compiler & endorsed libraries
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:24:38 GMT
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Rick McGuire <rickmcg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2010 5:23 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
> I came up with one solution (committed in revision 931319).
>
> In this solution I created a maven-property-plugin which executes in
> the "validate" phase and sets "bootClassPath" system property. The
> value of "bootClassPath" property is set to
> -Xbootclasspath/p:<path><pathSeparator><path>... string where each
> <path> is the jar file to prepend to boot classpath. The
> "bootClassPath" property is then used in maven-compiler-plugin and
> maven-surefire-plugin and passed as a java/javac argument.
>
> This seems to work for me but I'm wondering if it works for other
> people on different OSes and JVMs (especially on Windows and on
> non-Sun JVMs).
>

> What's driving the need for doing this?  Generally, prepending something to
> the bootstrap classpath is considered very bad form.  The JVM supported
> method for overriding bootstrap classes is the endorsed directory path.  I
> took another look at what Yoko does to get around this problem, and it
> appears the mavan-compiler-plugin and surefire plugins have all the support
> you need.  Here are some snippets from the Yoko core subproject.  To compile
> this code, it requires the yoko-corba-spec classes rather than the JVM
> provided ones.   The build contains the following build steps:

<snip>

I am aware of that solution as well and it works great for simple or
just a few modules. But as soon as you have to scale this to a large
number of modules it sucks because maven-dependency-plugin will keep
creating and copying the same files around for each module. We could
create some plugin that creates a single shared endorsed directory but
then we would have to worry about deleting that directory on maven
shutdown, etc.
I chose to go with -Xbootclasspath/p since it takes a list of jar
files and we don't have worry about copying any files or deleting any
directories. The -Xbootclasspath/p is a non-standard option and that
is a bit of a concern. However, the most popular JVMs do support this
option. If we run into a JVM that we need to support and it does not
have this option then I'll guess we will need to re-evaluate.

Jarek