geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <xhh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support dynamic security configurations for web access control
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:59:03 GMT

> OK.
>
> I would be a lot happier moving to jaxb objects for this.  How much work do
> you think it would be to use jaxb for web.xml?  I'd think the major problem
> would be in the naming builders.  I wonder if we could put some default jaxb
> <> xmlbeans conversion methods in the AbstractNamingBuilder and each builder
> could override one to do the actual processing.
>
>    The last time I checked the openejb-jee packages, I did not found new
servlet 3.0 jaxb beans, or I missed them somewhere ? Genernally speaking,
there should not many efforts for them, however I wish to do it after
milestone release.

> I think we need to change when the security calculations take place so the
> conversion from constraints to permissions happens once after these runtime
> constraints are added.
>
>    It is a good idea, but it might be a bit affect on the startup time, but
should not an issue.

> Even after we've added the security constraints, we might need a way of
> programatically adding principal<> role mappings as well.
>
> Do you think it would be practical to allow adding/removing security
> constraints and principal<> role mappings after the app has started?  I was
> thinking of letting you change the security model with arbitrary calls and
> then have "commit" method that would replace the existing model with the
> new, modified model.
>
>  From servlet 3.0 side, it is not allowed the users to do it after the
module is initialized via servletcontext. Anyway, it would be more flexible
for applications (I guess that JavaEE spec does not forbide the actions) if
we support it.   Here are some issues might need to consider it carefully :
1. How to provide some Geronimo APIs for it.
2. If the security configurations are changed,  how do we handle those
existing authenticated uses ? Would it introduce any potential risks or just
let the users take it.
3. What rules that we should obey if there are conflicts between the new
added and existing configurations

--
Ivan