geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Forrest Xia <forres...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About G3.0 Java EE 6 Samples
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:00:09 GMT
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Donald Woods <dwoods@apache.org> wrote:

> How about under samples/ splitting them into the 3 major themes -
>    javaee5 - previous samples to show compatibility/migration
>    javaee6 - new samples using new EE 6 features (like JPA2, EJB 3.1
>              lite, Servlet 3.0, ....)
>    osgi - new samples showing how to use EBA and OSGi
>    daytrader - finally move Daytader back into samples :-)

Good suggestion, I think this layout is more reasonable than what I
proposed, and I will make that layout changes.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Forrest Xia wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We prepared some samples regarding Jave EE 6 new features, so far
> including these:
>
> Hi Forrest,
> Cool. It's not quite clear to me how much work has been done and who has
> done the work. I'm now wondering if this is significant enough that it
> should be a software grant. Perhaps you can create  Jira and post as a
> patch?

The list is what we are thinking and doing, frankly speaking, some of them
are almost done, some are not. Next, let's open some jiras to track the
progress.

> <snip>
>

> > Or just add them directly under samples? As you can see that some Java EE
> 6 samples are based on existing ones(such as calculator). I personally
> prefer the former, since it gives user a clear view about where to look for
> Java EE 6 samples.
>

> Donald's list/grouping seems reasonable. Although I'm not sure that we have
> to provide redundant EE5 samples to demonstrate compatibility...

Yes, agreed.

> > 2. Shall we turn all of these samples into OSGi bundles? or just make
> Java EE 6 ones as bundles and keep existing ones unchanged?
>
> We need to be clear to our users that they do not need to turn EE artifacts
> into bundles. We should also provide samples that demonstrate some of the
> advantages/alternatives of OSGi.
>
> --kevan

Yes, we shall provide some samples for OSGi support of G3.0. As for Java EE
6 samples, we won't make them as bundles.

Forrest