geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Time to consider how to deploy ear package in Geronimo 3.0
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:28:01 GMT

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi,
>    While working with the TCK work, I found that we might need to consider how to deploy
ear package in Geronimo 3.0 now.

We will definitely have to solve this problem eventually.  Could you post to the tck list
which tests are problems now?

> I am not sure whether anyone has begun the related work.

I have not, I don't know that anyone else has either.

>    And actually, we have mentioned it in many threads in the past. I concluded all the
aspects I remember :
>    a. how to mimic the classloading layer in the traidional java ee application ?
>       Possible solution : Divide the package into serveral bundles, might be N+1 (N is
the number of the modules defined in ear package)

I like this method.  We might also do something similar to what we did in geronimo 2.x where
each web module gets a bundle, and everything else is stuffed into one "ear" bundle.  I'd
prefer to have a bundle per module if practical.

>    b. How to wire the separate bundles if we use the solution above ?
>       Possible solution: Use BND or other class scan tool to generate the import/export
package list in the deployment process.
>    c. How do we store the package in the repository folder ?
>       Possible solution: I remember that David mentioned to use a customized url protocol
to install the package to the cache, which means that we keep one ear package in the repository
folder.

I think we should try to use the eba format.  However, I'm worried that this would be a major
disruption of how the geronimo framework works.  I have been putting off thinking about this
until we had more stuff working.

>    This is just a raw draft, I am true that there would be more issues while implementing
it, so thoughts ?  If it looks fine, I might try it later.
>    By the way,  not sure whether Aries have done anything about ear if anyone knows,
please help to figure out.

Not yet.

thanks
david jencks