geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SNAPSHOT dependencies in Geronimo 3.0
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:14:09 GMT
The geronimo-cpp_1.0_spec has never been near a tck.  It's needed for pluto 2.  I thought I'd
requested the tck on jcp-open but don't seem to have.  I guess we should?

thanks
david jencks

On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:43 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> Ok, the completed email that I accidentally sent out earlier.
>
> Since we're targetting an M1 release of Geroinimo 3.0, we need to be taking a close look
at the snapshot dependencies we have in the release.  Here is what I believe is the complete
list of current snapshot dependencies.  We have way fewer external snapshot dependencies than
I actually believed, so this might not be too bad, even if we need to release some of these
from external.  It helps a little that we're already using released versions of OpenJPA and
jetty8.

> Here's a breakdown by category:
>
> non-Geronimo controlled releases:
>
> Tomcat 7 (which we currently have an external release for because we have some patches
that have not be accepted by the Tomcat community), openejb, pax logging, xbean, myfaces,
and felix.

> It should be easy to push out an xbean release, openejb just had a release, and might
be reluctant to push a new one so soon after the last one.  I'm not sure if the latest release
can be used for Geronimo or not.  I suspect not, since there has been a bit of recent work
on getting openejb to run in 3.0.  myfaces and pax logging I'm not sure about.  Does anybody
have connections to these communities strong enough to ask about a release?  What is the current
state of the felix and karaf projects?  Would it be possible to get new releases in the next
couple of weeks?

> Another big category is Aries, which is currently attempting to put out their first release.
 There's a good chance this will happen in time for the 3.0 milestone release.  This is probably
the biggest dependency, since a major goal of this milestone is to get feedback on the OSGi
application features.

> And finally, we have one servicemix bundle dependency that's in snapshot state.  Hopefully,
we can get a release pushed for this.  As a fallback, we could just add another subproject
to geronimo-bundles to cover this.

> Geronimo specs:
>
> We need new releases of almost all of these to pick up the new OSGi support.  We probably
should put these up for a vote by early next week at the latest.   Do we need to have a separate
vote for each spec, or can we do a group vote on this?  Also, the javamail uber jar will need
a release vote.

> Geronimo components:
>
> We need releases for connector, transaction, and jaspic.  In taking a look at these,
I discovered that these jars a building using the java ee 5 versions of apis and providers
(e.g., stax, jaxb).  I suspect these really should be upgraded.  Also, the dependencies tend
to be non-bundle versions of a lot of the jars.  I suspect these should really be using the
bundle versions.

> Geronimo bundles:
>
> The framework has bundle versions of a number of common components.  This is part of
the Geronimo build tree, and thus these are not released separately.  However, these bundle
versions look like they should be getting used in other places (e.g., components, possibly
xbean).  This seems to argue that they should be moved out the geronimo tree to possibly components
or maybe their own top-level tree as peers to components/external etc.

> Here is what I believe is the current list of snapshot dependencies.
>
> Tomcat:   7.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT.  This is a version build in the geronimo external, so we
release this largely concurrent with the server release.
> openejb:   3.1.3-SNAPSHOT:  I believe we've had some patches and modifications above
and beyond the most recent openejb release.
> xbean:  3.7-SNAPSHOT:   The Geronimo community controls the release of this.
> transaction manager:  3.0-SNAPSHOT :   Under the control of the Geronimo community.
> pax logging:  1.4.1-SNAPSHOT:   I'm not sure what the release procedures are in the PAX
community or how often they make new release available.
> myfaces:  2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> Felix:
>    main
>    bundlerepository:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
>    karaf main:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
>    karaf console:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
>    karaf client:  1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
>    framework:  2.1.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> Aries:  all at 0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT level
>   org.apache.aries.jndi.core
>   org.apache.aries.jndi.url
>   org.apache.aries.jmx
>   org.apache.aries.blueprint
>   org.apache.aries.blueprint.api
>   org.apache.aries.blueprint.core
>   org.apache.aries.blueprint.cm
>
> All of the Geronimo specs have new versions, which can be released prior to creating
the new release.  To the best of my knowledge, all of these