geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Legal files in org.apache.gernimo.bundles jars
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:01:06 GMT
I've been working on moving the org.apache.geronimo.bundles components
out of the server tree into its own top-level project so these bundles
can be released separately.  The working copy can be found here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/bundles/trunk

One issue is how the legal files need to be handled.  Since these
bundles contain code developed under other licenses, that information
needs to be noted in these jars.  In addition, the release plugin is
gives an error on these components because the source artifact does not
contain legal files.

I've taken a first pass at fixing this for two of the components,
asm-3.1 and jaxb-impl.  Here are the steps I've taken:

1)  Added a NOTICE and LICENSE file to root of the subproject.  This
solved the problem of release plugin error.
2)  Added src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/LICENSE.vm and NOTICE.vm
files to the subproject.  These files get appended to the standard
apache license files and will contain the LICENSE and NOTICE information
for the source jar.  The NOTICE and LICENSE files used in the assembly
boilerplate is used as the source of the information when possible.  All
jars will have a LICENSE.vm file, but not all need to have a NOTICE.vm.
The asm-3.1 does not require the NOTICE, jaxb-impl does (which I why I
chose these for the initial work).

I believe this will satisfy our requirements for redistributing these
jars, but I'd like some feedback on whether these two are correct before
I make the changes to all of the subproject.

Rick