geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spec release numbers
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:14:17 GMT
On 4/6/2010 10:34 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> Should we do like the server releases?
> The first new major release uses 2 digits and any follow-on maintenance
> releases introduce the third digit, like -
>    2.1, then 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, ....

For now, I'd like to focus on the central question I asked originally,
which was about getting some consistency in the spec version numbering.
I like Donald's suggestion.  If implemented, here are the things that
would change:

Changing from 1.0.0 to 1.0:

geronimo-ccpp_1.0_spec
geronimo-ejb_3.1_spec
geronimo-interceptor_1.1_spec
geronimo-jaxrs_1.1_spec
geronimo-osgi-support
geronimo-stax-api_1.2_spec

NOTE:  If the changes goes the other way (1.0 changed to 1.0.0), a
larger number of specs need to be changed.

Changing from 2-digit release numbers to 3 digit:

geronimo-jaspic_1.0_spec (changes from 1.1 to 1.0.1)
geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec (changes from 1.1 to 1.0.1)
geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec (changes from 1.7 to 1.0.7).  A corresponding
change will be made with the provider and uber jar.
geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec (changes from 1.1 to 1.0.1)

I'd like to start the release process for the spec jars very early next
week, so I'd like to make this change this week.  If there are no
objections to these changes, I'll make them tomorrow morning.

Rick