geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Boes (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (GERONIMODEVTOOLS-608) Publish with GEP takes minutes, while deploy takes seconds
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 07:41:27 GMT
Publish with GEP takes minutes, while deploy takes seconds
----------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: GERONIMODEVTOOLS-608
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-608
             Project: Geronimo-Devtools
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: eclipse-plugin
    Affects Versions: 2.2.0
         Environment: GEP 2.2 installed in Eclipse (galileo-SR1).
            Reporter: Boes
            Assignee: Delos Dai


Publishing an Enterprise Application (EAR) with GEP to Geronimo takes much more time then
deploying the same EAR to Geronimo using the console. See http://n3.nabble.com/Publish-with-GEP-takes-minutes-while-deploy-takes-10-seconds-td684484.html

After doing some research I found that EAR's that have dependencies in geronimo-application.xml
take a lot of time to publish. This is caused by the very inefficient implementation of the
reorderModules method in the org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper class.

I installed a GEP development environment and put on tracing. It tested an EAR with 3 WAR's
in it. In the EAR's geronimo-application.xml I added dependency tags for 4 libraries. Tracing
shows that this results in parsing the geronimo-application.mxl 1092 (!) times. In code this
means that a call to DependencyHelper.getEnvironment is made 1092 times.

Another inefficient part in the reorderModules method is that the call to DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule
is repeatedly made for the same module. In the test I found it was called at least 3 times
for each dependent library. These calls result in a request to Geronimo and take almost a
second each.

The best way to solve this bug is to redesign the reordering process and make it work in a
way that both DependencyHelper.getEnvironment and DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule are not
called more often then needed. I wonder why DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule is called at
all.

What I did to fix this problem and make GEP workable again for me is:
- made sure the DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule is never called twice for the same module.
Once the DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule is called for a certain module, I add this module
to a list. Before a next call to DeploymentUtils.isInstalledModule I verify if the call has
been made before. If so, it doesn't need to be called again.
- reduced the number of times the xml is parsed. I put the results of the DependencyHelper.getEnvironment
for a certain module in a hashmap. Next time the DependencyHelper.getEnvironment is called
for the same module, I return the result stored in the hashmap.

After these two modifications GEP is up to speed again.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message