geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legal files in org.apache.gernimo.bundles jars
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:35:39 GMT

On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> I've been working on moving the org.apache.geronimo.bundles components out of the server
tree into its own top-level project so these bundles can be released separately.  The working
copy can be found here:

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/bundles/trunk
>
> One issue is how the legal files need to be handled.  Since these bundles contain code
developed under other licenses, that information needs to be noted in these jars.  In addition,
the release plugin is gives an error on these components because the source artifact does
not contain legal files.

> I've taken a first pass at fixing this for two of the components, asm-3.1 and jaxb-impl.
 Here are the steps I've taken:

> 1)  Added a NOTICE and LICENSE file to root of the subproject.  This solved the problem
of release plugin error.
> 2)  Added src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/LICENSE.vm and NOTICE.vm files to the
subproject.  These files get appended to the standard apache license files and will contain
the LICENSE and NOTICE information for the source jar.  The NOTICE and LICENSE files used
in the assembly boilerplate is used as the source of the information when possible.  All jars
will have a LICENSE.vm file, but not all need to have a NOTICE.vm.  The asm-3.1 does not require
the NOTICE, jaxb-impl does (which I why I chose these for the initial work).

> I believe this will satisfy our requirements for redistributing these jars, but I'd like
some feedback on whether these two are correct before I make the changes to all of the subproject.

I haven't looked at the specific test cases, but that sounds like the right approach. Thanks
for doing this Rick.

--kevan