geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Delos <dait...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Release GEP more frequently
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 05:58:20 GMT
Hi all,

Johannes suggested that GEP make release more frequently. The reason is user
may get new fixes earlier, instead of waiting for next release together with
Geronimo server. In this way, it will be more convenient for GEP to provide
new improvement, such as support for eclipse of latest version. To support
it, the version number of GEP has to be redesigned.

We need to add qualifier segment to the version number, such as 2.2.0.0,
2.2.0.1 and 2.2.0.2. Then, for each release of Geronimo server, GEP version
will contains server version number as prefix and qualifier segment as 0.
For GEP release in future, the qualifier of its version number will increase
by 1 until server announce a new release. For example, for Geronimo server
2.2.0, GEP version will be 2.2.0.0; if GEP has to announce a new release
after that,  its version will be 2.2.0.1.

In general, GEP version will evolve as below
1) Version number of GEP will contain four digitals
2) If there is a G server release, GEP will announce a new release for it.
GEP version number is three digitals of server version number suffixed with
.0
3) GEP may have several maintenance releases. Only last digital increase by
1 for maintenance releases version number.

Johannes, please correct me, if there is any mistake in my description.

Could you express your attitude toward Johannes' suggestion?

Thanks!

在 2010年3月2日 下午7:43,office@weberhofer.at <office@weberhofer.at>写道:

--
Best Regards,