geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Webapp Annotation processing for 299
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:51:14 GMT
On Mar 29, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> I'd like to work on this.  Is there a JIRA opened for this ?

Not yet.  Feel free to create as many subtasks as you need under this
jira:

Maybe a good title for this one would be something like "Java EE
Injection annotation scanning for 299 beans"

And basically the goal is to give Geronimo a list of 299 bean classes
so that it can scan them for these annotations:

   @Resource
   @EJB
   @PersistenceContext
   @PersistenceUnit
   @WebServiceRef

The code to do the scanning is there in the naming builders, but the
code to get a list of bean classes is not there.

Bare in mind this task is way bigger than it appears as we currently
have no code to really bootstrap OpenWebBeans into Geronimo and kick
of any of the work it needs to do to actually generate that list of
299 beans.

There's also a requirement which we might want to just ignore
initially as it might be way too against the Geronimo architecture.
The trick is that new beans can be added at startup via the
BeanManager events and Geronimo does not do *any* annotation scanning
at startup, only at deploy which could be in a completely different
java process.  I think we might just need to turn a blind eye to that
detail or it might be too hard to get started as essentially it might
mean have re-architect Geronimo at a very fundamental level.  Getting
anything running would be a great step forward.

Anyway, get ready for a challenge :)

-David