geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: shared lib in Geronimo 3.0
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:10:03 GMT

On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:57 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Sangjin Lee wrote:
>
>> Thanks. So it sounds like it will be pretty much a *requirement* that applications
on 3.0 need to be fully OSGi bundles,

> Well, the idea is that the geronimo deployment process will turn your javaee app into
one or more bundles.  We set up defaults for the osgi manifest headers but you can modify
them in your geronimo plans.

Right. So traditional EE apps need not change. You can continue to deploy EE defined artifacts
(e.g. WAR/EAR/JAR). Users don't need to turn them into bundles. Applications that used Geronimo
deployment plan dependencies are likely to require some changes...

>> and if you were using the shared lib as part of your classloading scheme you will
have to convert them all to OSGi bundles.

> Jars that aren't part of a javaee application need to be converted to bundles before
installing them.   I guess we could provide a default conversion but usually this doesn't
seem to be adequate in practice.  Do you think this is going to be a problem for users?

David never really liked shared-lib, to begin with... ;-)

If you have compelling use cases, now is definitely a good time to speak up... There's certainly
a set of users that have found shared lib to be convenient.

--kevan