geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tx manager component versions
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:36:00 GMT

On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:05 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I'm thinking of porting the work to deal with retrying stuff that didnt work (GERONIMO-5152)
in the tx manager component from trunk back to the 2.1 branch.  However, this changes the
interaction between the connection management and the tx manager quite a bit -- the tx manager
can now request an XAResource from the connection management rather than just getting handed
one when a pool starts up.

> So, I'm wondering what appropriate versions would be.  I think that continuing 2.1.x
is inappropriate for this size change.  I think this would be an osgi major version bump.
 So at least it should go to 2.2... and trunk to 3.0

> Another possibility would be 2.1 >> 3.0 and trunk >> 4.0 which is more consistent
with osgi versions.

> thoughts?

Would be great to have these updates available for G 2.1.x and G 2.2.x servers! Personally,
I think moving the tx-manager branch to 2.2 and tx-manager trunk to 3.0 would be just fine.
I don't think the OSGi version scheme has much bearing for consumers of 2.1 and the new 2.2.
3.0 gives you a major version bump where you most need it -- where you have the most OSGi
consumers and where the spec version bumps. I won't have a strong objection to moving branch
to 3.0, if that's what is decided. Just strikes me as slightly confusing...

--kevan