geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: shared lib in Geronimo 3.0
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:48:27 GMT

On Mar 24, 2010, at 5:30 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> While I always thought shared lib was a bad idea, at least pre-osgi the concept of a
classloader that you could just toss things in made sense.  I don't think it makes any sense
in osgi.  There is no dynamic-export header so whatever implementation you came up with would
have to know exactly what packages to export... making the idea of adding more stuff to it
useless.  If you just make sure your jar is bundleized so the packages you want to use are
exported, and install the bundle in the osgi framework, the osgi wiring mechanism will take
care of making it available to your app, in a simpler, uniform way that is much more flexible
than shared lib was.

> In other words, plain vanilla osgi all by itself does what shared lib was for much much
better.  The only inconvenience is that you have to make your libraries into bundles somehow.
 We can certainly talk about how to help people do that, but that will be generally useful
and/or impossible to do well.

Understood. And I'm not claiming that we'd end up with the same runtime efficiencies of a
common shared lib ClassLoader, in previous versions of Geronimo. However, we're processing
WARs and EARs with packaged jar files. And we'd better be pretty good at that. And we're certainly
not going to require users to convert these jars into bundles. So, is extending this capability
to a sharedlib dirctory (outside of the archive) such a big stretch? It might not be as runtime
efficient as it could be, but a class of users might well appreciate its simplicity.

We also want to be making it easy for users to bundleize jars and incorporate them into Geronimo.
However, I'm not convinced that users should always be required to bundlize their jars...

--kevan