geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Aries Application support in Geronimo
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:18:21 GMT
Hi all,

For the last few days I've been working on improving Aries Application
support in Geronimo. Here's where things are at this point.

You can install Aries Application just like any other application
using the deploy tool: bin/deploy deploy <path to .eba file>. The
application file must have .eba extension. You can also install the
application via Karaf shell using eba:instal <path> command. There are
other "eba" Karaf shell commands for listing, stopping, starting, and
uninstalling Aries applications.

OBR resolution is supported. The OBR is automatically configured with
a local repository (.../var/obr.xml) that represents the contents of
the Geronimo repository directory. You can view OBR information, add
additional repositories, etc. via "obr" Karaf shell commands. Keep in
mind that when you add additional repository via obr:addUrl that
information is not persisted right now and you'll have to re-add it
next time Geronimo starts up. But you can specify additional
repositories by configuring GeronimoOBRGBean (in j2ee-system module)
so that they will always be there.

Isolation/composite bundle stuff is not supported at this point. The
application bundles are all installed in the same framework.

There is a number of other issues that still need to be addressed of
course. For example, you can't re-start the application in the same
session. I think that's related to lifecycle mismatch between Geronimo
and OSGi. Or when the application gets installed the contents of it
are duplicated in two places. Hopefully, we can address these issues
in the future.

Jarek