geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.0 Milestone Release?
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:40:20 GMT
On 3/31/2010 9:58 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> +1 to a milestone release.  Would be great to see at least one every
> quarter until 3.0 is released.
>
> Would M1 be focused on Aries + available Java EE 6 and OSGi components,
> like RFC66, JPA 2.0, Servlet 3.0 preview, ....

That sounds like a good focus, though I'm not too sure about whether
we'll have a full Servlet 3.0 version available in the very near
future.  The Aries support is looking like it's in pretty good shape
with Jarek's recent success in deploying the Aries sample applications
on Geronimo 3.0.  We're also in pretty good shape with the OSGi components.

As far as the Java EE 6 features, we have all of the APIs in place now,
but we don't really have a lot of the providers available for these new
features.  Servlet 3.0, the new OpenEJB features, and JSR 299/330
support are probably the biggest laggers right now.

Given the state of the Aries integration work, we probably should start
start work on moving toward a M1 release now.  I do have a few questions
about what needs to be done from here:

1)  What additional features do we feel we need to complete before
releasing the milestone.
       a)  Are there any additional features in the Aries integration
that should be completed for the M1?
       b)  What Java EE features should we have working for this release?

2)  For our dependencies, will we need real releases, or will we ship
snapshots based on know revision levels?

Rick

> -Donald
>

> On 3/29/10 3:42 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm curious to hear the community's thoughts about starting to pull together a 3.0
Milestone release. I think there's been a lot of progress on trunk and that it would be valuable
to start pulling things together for a release.

>> If anything, just planning for a release starts to identify hat parts are missing
and what needs to be done. Also, gives users a chance to start focusing on what features they
are going to need...