geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release GEP more frequently
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:00:28 GMT
Adding a forth digit is an option, but not sure if that is an Eclipse
best practice unless it as a _vDate (maybe Tim would have some
background knowledge of this, as it seems we discussed doing this
several years ago....)

For OpenJPA, we had an Eclipse plugin contributed to us, which uses a
new Maven 3.0-alpha-6 and Tycho plugin to build an Eclipse
plugin/feature without all of the hacks we use for GEP.  The only
downside right now, is that Maven 3.0 hasn't been released yet and Tycho
is still under development (and only works on Windows right now), but it
might be something to consider for GEP 3.0, as it runs builds based on
the normal Eclipse .project/.classpath settings (with minimal pom.xml
content) and creates normal PDE artifacts with version+date, like -
    org.apache.openjpa.eclipse_1.0.0.201001181728.jar
which would allow you to keep the first 3 digits tied to the server release.

Source can be found at -
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openjpa/devtools/trunk/

-Donald