geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: shared lib in Geronimo 3.0
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:57:26 GMT

On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Sangjin Lee wrote:

> Thanks. So it sounds like it will be pretty much a *requirement* that applications on
3.0 need to be fully OSGi bundles,

Well, the idea is that the geronimo deployment process will turn your javaee app into one
or more bundles.  We set up defaults for the osgi manifest headers but you can modify them
in your geronimo plans.

> and if you were using the shared lib as part of your classloading scheme you will have
to convert them all to OSGi bundles.

Jars that aren't part of a javaee application need to be converted to bundles before installing
them.   I guess we could provide a default conversion but usually this doesn't seem to be
adequate in practice.  Do you think this is going to be a problem for users?

thanks
david jencks

> Regards,
> Sangjin
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Sangjin Lee wrote:
>
> My apologies if this has been discussed before, but what is the thinking on the shared
lib on Geronimo 3.0? As Geronimo moves to the OSGi based infrastructure, will it make it into
G 3.0? If so, how would it be exposed in terms of classloading? Thanks...

> I don't think this has been discussed.  I don't think that shared lib makes any sense
in 3.0.  Any jar you install needs to be a bundle already and once the osgi kernel knows about
it it can be used in wiring however it got installed.  We might want more tooling to help
bundle-ify plain jars and to clarify how to install bundles but I don't think shared lib makes
sense.