geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release GEP more frequently
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:35:00 GMT

On Mar 3, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Rex Wang wrote:

> IIRC, current approach is any GEP 2.2.* has the ability to support server 2.1.*,  2.0.*,
even 1.1.*
> However, I do not think it is a best practice, because as the increase of server's version
number, GEP might become more and more overstaffed.. and it is hard to tell at which time
point the lower version server is out of service in the latest GEP. Also, for instance, if
there is a new G 2.1.x release, which version of GEP shall we update to support it, the GEP2.2.y
or GEP2.1.z or Both ?

Right. Would have to hunt through the archives. At one point we had dropped 1.1 support in
GEP (IIRC), but then it was added back in. Tim would remember better than I.

> I think the main advantage of staying the version numbers in sync with server is that
it makes user very clear to know which GEP can work with a certain server. However, if we
adopt this and make release more frequently, we should maintenance GEP in different branch.
That is, GEP 2.2.x.201012345678 only support all the 2.2.y server(where y<=x), and not
support 2.1.*, 1.1,*, so that if you try add a new server runtime in eclipse, you won't see
a pretty long list that contains all Geronimo server versions..

I think we need to support at least one back-level version of the server. Personally, I would
like for GEP 3.0 to support 2.2 and 2.1, at least. But that's just me. I confess that I'm
not in touch with the complexities this might introduce into GEP.

--kevan