geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: failover demo in sandbox
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:51:28 GMT

On Feb 1, 2010, at 1:59 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a look at the failover demo currently in sandbox, over the weekend. I made some
updates to get it building/running on my Mac OS machine.

> I like the demo. It's a good demonstration of Geronimo's capabilities. I'd be interested
in seeing a formal release of the demo. A few demo and Geronimo related issues we could be
thinking about:

> 1) Windows support. The current demo is *nix-based. For all I know it may only run on
Mac OS.

> Added windows scripts to make the sample support windows.
>
> 2) The failover demo is including Grinder. Grinder is a great tool. However, it contains
LGPL-licensed artifacts. So, we are going to remove it from the failover demo. We can provide
configuration files and the grinder.py "client". However, if users want to run the demo using
Grinder, they will need to download Grinder on their own. We can provide download instructions,
but should instruct users to review the Grinder licensing before doing so...

> Modified/added some scripts to strip grinder from our build.  Also updated the instruction
to tell users how to download and configure the grinder by themselves.

> 3) Geronimo currently requires multicast for the failover scenario. This is great. However,
we should also offer unicast-based support, also. I frequently encounter users who are unable
to use multicast in their environments. Providing unicast support would be a valuable addition,
I think.

> --kevan

Nice. Thanks Shawn.

I think it's time to move failover out of sandbox.

BTW,
I've noticed that the farm-controller is advertising membership in cluster1 -- leading to
intermittent lookup failures. Using the MulticastTool:

$ java org.apache.openejb.client.MulticastTool

Connecting to multicast group: 239.255.3.2:6142
LoopbackMode:false
TimeToLive:1
SoTimeout:0
-------------------------------
12:56:03 - 10.0.1.194 - cluster1:ejb:ejbd://coltrane:4201
12:56:03 - 10.0.1.194 - farm:rmi://coltrane:1109/JMXConnector?cluster=cluster1
12:56:03 - 10.0.1.194 - cluster1:ejb:ejbd://coltrane:4211
12:56:03 - 10.0.1.194 - cluster1:ejb:ejbd://coltrane:4201
12:56:03 - 10.0.1.194 - farm:rmi://coltrane:1109/JMXConnector?cluster=cluster1

4201 == my farm-controller
4211 == my farm-node

I'll get intermittent failures using multicast as the provider url in a standalone client
-- depending on which member is chosen by the client -- ejbd://coltrane:4201 will fail and
ejbd://coltrane:4211 will succeed.

--kevan