geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Tracking Geronimo 3.0 status.
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:48:51 GMT
I've heard a number of complaints from people working on Geronimo 3.0
about the difficulty in keeping track of who is working on what items
for the release.  David Blevins made an excellent suggestion a couple
weeks ago that we use something like the system that OpenEJB is using to
track everything via Jiras and use swizzle scripts to generate a wiki
page to generate an at-a-glance summary of work status.  I've spent a
bit of time over the last couple of weeks creating top-level task Jiras
for the Geronimo 3.0 work and organizing the currently open 3.0 Jiras as
subtasks under these items.  There is a major item for each of the Java
EE 6 components that are required for a Java EE 6 compliant server, as
well as a few major tasks for the OSGi work.  The summary page can be
found here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/java-ee-6-roadmap.html

It will be updated once a week or so...more frequently if there appears
to be a lot of Jira activity.

Additional information on 3.0 can be found at this wiki page, which
organizes the work using the style used for the Geronimo 2.0 server
release.  This is wiki page also contains more detailed information
about the state of the components Geronimo is dependent on and the work
needed to integrate these components into 3.0. \

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDEV/Road+map+for+Java+EE6+Web+Profile

There are steps that individual contributors can take to ensure this

1)  Try to create new Jiras as subtasks of one of the major tasks so
that new work gets categorized appropriately.
2)  The major tasks were my best-guess first attempt at organizing
this.  If you feel additional major categories are required, go ahead
and create them.  New major tasks need to be added to the script for the
summary page.  I'll volunteer to maintain that, so nudge me when new
tasks are created in case I happen to miss it.
3)  I've tried to create links between the Geronimo tasks and Jiras in
other projects where the dependencies are known.  It is a good idea to
create new links if you open Jiras in other projects to help fix
Geronimo problems.
4)  If you start working on a Jira item, please assign to yourself so
that others know the item is being worked on.

I hope this proves useful.  I've already spotted some missing work areas
by using this page.

Rick