Yes, I am also sure that it should be easy to make the mvn protocol handler to support the nested bundle function.  The reason for saying "not a standard bundle" is for the no-copying OSGI bundle deployment, I guess that it might be more difficult if the source file is a nested bundle file. However, it is just a guess ;-)