geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Delos <dait...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rfc66 update
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:39:03 GMT
Thanks for your reply!

I still have a concern about lazy activated bundle in current
implementation. In BundleTrackerCustomizer, a lazy activated bundle will be
deployed twice(deployed->undeployed->deployed), because of the state
transition of the bundle. To avoid this, I suggest to create a separated
BundleTracker and BundleTrackerCustomizer for lazy-activated Starting
bundles. Then original BundleTrackerCustomizer can only deploy and undeploy
Active bundle, while the new BundleTrackerCustomizer only deploys the
lazy-activated Starting bundles.

Any comments?

2010/1/25 Rick McGuire <rickmcg@gmail.com>

>  On 1/25/2010 8:06 AM, Delos wrote:
>
> It's really great news!
>
> But I have some questions about current implementation.Just want to learn
> more from it.
>
> 1) I found only active and starting bundles are taken into account in
> current implementation. What about resolved bundles?
>

> That's the requirement of the RFC66 specification.  Resolution is a
> requirement for a bundle to transition to the active or starting states, but
> the extender is not supposed to take action until one of those states is
> seen.  It's the same way with Blueprint.
>

> 2) For lazy activiated bundles, only starting bundles will be deployed.But
> in RFC 66, it said "A bundle that has a lazy activation policy should not be
> transitioned to the STARTING state by the web extender unless a request is
> made that requires a class to be loaded." Does the implementation violate
> the document?
>

> This is a statement that the extender should not explicitly force the
> bundle into a started state, but rather should leave that transition to one
> triggered by a class load.  If the processing the extender needs to perform
> in processing the bundle results in a triggering class load, that's ok.
>

> 3) In RFC 66, static content can be requested without starting a WAB. It's
> not in the TODO file. Do you have any idea for it? I'm not sure if
> configuration of WAB can become accessible before actually it's started.
>

> The note about static content is marked as an optional feature.  For a lot
> of processing, it would not be possible to achieve deployment without
> performing a classload.
>

> Thanks!

>> great news! congratulations!
>>
>> david jencks
>>

>> On Jan 23, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>>  Hi all,
>>>
>>> Today I checked in an initial version of the rfc66 extender that can
>>> actually deploy WABs with simple servlets and jsps. There is still
>>> much work to be done (for example updating the Jasper module builder
>>> to work with Bundles) but simple stuff seems to be working. In fact
>>> with David's recent JNDI (rfc142) integration work I was able to
>>> deploy the Aries blog sample in Geronimo.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I took to run the sample:
>>>
>>> 1) Build latest blog sample in Aries
>>> 2) Build latest Geronimo trunk

--
Best Regards,