geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to handle the Web Profile subset
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:42:21 GMT

On Jan 25, 2010, at 1:35 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> We should be putting some thought on what the Geronimo deliverables are in the web
profile world.  I think for the most part, this should be just a different assembly that assembles
a smaller set of components.  The one additional configuration that is probably going to be
needed is an EJB Lite configuration that would be used by the Web Profile assembly.  This
should not be a big delta over what we have, but it does increase the number of assemblies
that we end up releasing.  Are there other options we should be working at?

> I think we might already have too many assemblies :-)
>
> Ideally when the osgi integration settles down we will have an even better way than in
2.2 for extending a framework server or assembling custom servers.  I'm cautiously in favor
of making the "minimal" tomcat and jetty servers support the web profile and having smaller
servers be custom assemblies or based on the framework server.

Agreed that we don't want 2 additional assemblies. Replacing the "minimal" servers with "web
profile" equivalents seems reasonable to me.

I think users would find it convenient if an assembly could contain multiple configuration
files. A full EE6 assembly could be invoked with a framework, minimal, web profile, or full
EE6 configuration. Similarly, a web profile could contain framework and minimal configurations,
also.

--kevan