geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: welcome app in trunk
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:44:51 GMT

On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Ivan wrote:

> 2010/1/16 Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com>
> Hey folks,
>
> I tried building a server with welcome app with Tomcat in trunk and
> ran into a few of problems (at least one of which I thought was
> previously fixed). I'm getting these error when starting a server with
> welcome app:
> 1) GERONIMO-5033 - there is a number of warning from Tomcat about
> missing xsd/dtd files from servlet spec and possible from jsp spec (or
> missing import somewhere)
>   Yes, I wish to add them in a few days ago, but not sure the license issue, so ...

The Sun schema files (xsd/dtd's) should all be dual-licensed: GPL v2 or CDDL.

CDDL is classified by the ASF as an Category B (reciprocal) license -- http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-b

In general Category B licensed binaries are OK for an Apache release. However, category B
source code should be avoided -- there are exceptions to this. And the exceptions apply to
this very case... :)

Small amounts of CDDL "code" that are unlikely to change are ok. Since these xsd/dtd files
encode a standard, they are extremely unlikely to change.

In summary, it's ok to place these CDDL licensed xsd/dtd files in our svn. The LICENSE and
NOTICE files need to be updated accordingly. LICENSE will need a copy of the CDDL license
and the NOTICE will need to point to the CDDL source. I can help with this...

--kevan