geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From chi runhua <chirun...@gmail.com>
Subject OSGi features on Admin Console
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:12:00 GMT
Hi all,

With the progress of OSGi implementation for G3.0, I think we can start
thinking about which features we will provide to users via Admin Console.
IMHO, there would be 2 options to present the new features:
   1.  Use an independent section for OSGi part and keep Java EE parts as
is.
   2.  Integrate OSGi features into existing portlets

If we choose option 1, I can think of following new portlets to be appended
to the navigation item(might be more, you are welcome to append the list):
     1.a.  OSGi  Framework information;
     1.b.  Bundle management, which is only used to install/uninstall
bundles;
     1.c.  Blueprint management, which Rex and Delos are working on, but
resides in Debug Views section temporarily.
     1.c.  OBR management, which is used to Add/Browse repositories and
install bundles from repos.

Other than the portlets above, there are 2 more features: User Admin and Log
Service, which can be integrated with existing portlets like Security&Log
viewers.

I can see a lot of overlaps between Java EE and OSGi related portlets, it
would be nice to have them consolidated as one, for exampleï¼›
        Bundle management   v.s  Deploy New
        OBR management    v.s   Install Plugins from repositories
       OSGi Framework info  v.s  Java System Info

But thinking of the resource available, I'd like to suggest we choose option
1 for G3.0 console.

Any comments?

Jeff C