geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject geronimosrv.exe and geronimosrvw.exe
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:42:27 GMT
I just ran across the subject executables in our svn (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/2.2/plugins/procrun/src/main/resources/bin).
Besides a README file in a Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4394), it's
not clear where the source for these executables come from. This needs to be fixed.

I think the "function" is great. However, we need a clear representation of the source that
is used to build these binaries. IIUC, the .exe files are built from Commons Daemon, with
a patch applied (as explained in the Jira). After the code is compiled, the resultant binaries
have been renamed geronimosrv.exe and geronimosrvw.exe.

If Commons Daemon has not released executables that can be used for our purposes, we need
to either work with the Commons community to release this code or move the code into our svn,
create a build process, and release the executables ourselves. This release could be part
of our server release process or, more likely, we can release the executables separately,
then embed in a server release.

This will need to occur prior to the next release which would include these binaries. I'll
-1 a release that includes the binaries as is... Any volunteers to look at this?

--kevan