geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rfc66 update
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:26:34 GMT
On 1/25/2010 8:06 AM, Delos wrote:
> It's really great news!
>
> But I have some questions about current implementation.Just want to
> learn more from it.
>
> 1) I found only active and starting bundles are taken into account in
> current implementation. What about resolved bundles?

That's the requirement of the RFC66 specification.  Resolution is a
requirement for a bundle to transition to the active or starting states,
but the extender is not supposed to take action until one of those
states is seen.  It's the same way with Blueprint.

> 2) For lazy activiated bundles, only starting bundles will be
> deployed.But in RFC 66, it said "A bundle that has a lazy activation
> policy should not be transitioned to the STARTING state by the web
> extender unless a request is made that requires a class to be loaded."
> Does the implementation violate the document?

This is a statement that the extender should not explicitly force the
bundle into a started state, but rather should leave that transition to
one triggered by a class load.  If the processing the extender needs to
perform in processing the bundle results in a triggering class load,
that's ok.

> 3) In RFC 66, static content can be requested without starting a WAB.
> It's not in the TODO file. Do you have any idea for it? I'm not sure
> if configuration of WAB can become accessible before actually it's
> started.

The note about static content is marked as an optional feature.  For a
lot of processing, it would not be possible to achieve deployment
without performing a classload.