geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject OpenJPA2 build breakage in trunk
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:14:44 GMT
There's a nasty build breakage in trunk caused by switching to the
latest jpa 2.0 spec jar from the one used for the OpenJPA milestone
release.  This change requires some code changes to the Geronimo code
because some methods were removed and some classes were moved to
different package locations.  I've got the code compiling cleanly with
the new spec jar, but that just moved things on to another problem.

The next problem to arise came from the mismatch between the OpenJPA
2.0.0-M3 release and this spec jar.  The M3 OpenJPA code still had
references to classes in the old package locations, so we ended up with
ClassNotFoundExceptions while trying to build.  Ok, this should be a
simple fix...it just requires changing the OpenJPA version to the
2.0.0-SNAPSHOT level.  And here is where things start to get nasty.  The
current trunk code for OpenJPA no longer builds the OpenJPA jars as
bundles.  This issue was already noticed by the Aries folks and a Jira
was opened on it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1478?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

Donald fixed this today, but it does not appear that he's pushed new
snapshots to the repo yet, so I haven't been able to test against the
new jars.  I did make an attempt at creating a geronimo bundle from
these jars, but ran into some resource loading issues between the
openjpa jar and the openjpa-persistence-jdbc jars that I was never able
to work out.  I tried building openjpa locally, but ran into a couple of
dependency issues I haven't had the chance to chase down.

So, the build is sort of broken in its current state.  The Geronimo code
won't compile against the current spec jar without changes and the
openjpa2 plugin can't build with the current openjpa snapshot because of
the missing bundle information.  Should I

1)  back off the spec change
2)  check in the changes to fix the compile errors and use the new
openjpa snapshot and wait for the new snapshot of openjpa to show up

Rick