geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <xhh...@gmail.com>
Subject Web Annotation and web fragment support in Geronimo 3.0
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:20:19 GMT
Hi,
    Recently, I am looking at the annoation  and web fragment in Servlet
3.0. After checking some integration codes, it seems that we have different
strategy for Tomcat and Jetty, in Tomcat plugin, after doing some
verification and web service process work, Geronimo will pass the web.xml
file directly to Tomcat, and then Tomcat will parse the web.xml file and
call the addChild method to register all the servlets to context. While in
Jetty plugin, all the work is done in Servlet GBean and Jetty will not check
the web.xml file (At least for servlet configurations).
    So in Geronimo 3.0, who will be resposible for the annotation and web
fragment scanning. For Tomcat, one way is still to let Tomcat does it,
actually I found some related codes are added in ContextConfig class.
Although I found some errors while trying it, it should be easy to solve.
Another way is to scan by Geronimo, then create a gbean for each servlet
like Jetty, or just generate a full web.xml file.
    Personally, I wish to do it by Geronimo, so that Geronimo could have a
full control of it, which keeps the same way with Jetty. Also, I have
another idea about improving the class scanning, IIRC, many builders require
annoation scanning or file scanning, like web-builder, webservice-builder,
etc. I am thinking that whether we could do all the scanning work in one
round, not a new round search would be triggered by each builder. Maybe, we
could add some methods like registerScanningHandler in the
DeploymentContext, and once the temp bundle is installed, all the scanning
work be will done in one round.
    Any comment ? Thanks !
Ivan