geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: About deploying web applications to Tomcat 7.0
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:02:58 GMT

On Jan 3, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Ivan wrote:
<snip>
>> I will try the solution about dividing the ear as multiple bundles,
>> the ear itself is one, all the modules it contains are the others,
>> and it is possible to use require-bundle to connect the module
>> bundle to the ear bundle.
>
> I'd prefer to avoid require-bundle.  I was thinking of modifying the
> pax url handler so that we could continue to repackage the ear as we
> do now, but have the car file contain several bundles corresponding
> to the different modules inside.  We could perhaps imitate jar urls
> and append !<moduleName> to point to an "internal" bundle.  If we
> did this the car would still be a single artifact in maven but would
> supply all the bundles at once.
>
>     Yes, require-bundle did not have a good reputation in the OSGI
> world, but in this scenario, I think we could use it to reduce the
> complexity.
>     Keeping the same package way is a good choice, for currently,
> the repository directory is a really 'repository', Geronimo never
> loads any class from it, ^_^.  But if in that way, the file is not a
> standard bundle, and it only works for the special url handler.

Well, after the bundle gets extracted by the url handler it's a plain
ordinary bundle.  The car-with bundles-inside is really just a
delivery mechanism.  I'm pretty sure it would be easy to implement,
but might not be a great idea long term.  It might be convenient until
we find something better.  On the other hand it might get popular in
other contexts.

I forgot to mention that the other approach that seems promising to me
is to use the application bundle idea from the aries project.

thanks
david jencks

>> One thing I am thinking is that how to generate the exports for the
>> ear bundle, maybe the deployer might need use something like asm to
>> scan all the library files.
>
> I think we should look into using BND for this.
>
>     Yes, BND should help us.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
<snip>