geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cxf bundles
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:07:02 GMT
On Thu January 14 2010 2:44:51 am David Jencks wrote:
> 1. is there a need for the 2 tools jars to be in the same bundle as
> the minimal bundle?  Maybe we could use minimal + the other two jars
> individually bundleized.

I'm trying to figure out why the two tool jars are even needed in the osgi
runtime at all.   Those are for the command line tooling so I'm really at a
loss as to why they would be needed in the container.

> 2. do the other jars in the minimal bundle provide generally useful
> functionality?

IMO.  Yes, especially with CXF 2.3 which we hope to get out this quarter.

1) cxf-rt-ws-policy  - you really don't want cxf-rt-ws-security without this
one.   Doing ws-security with SecurityPolicy is much easier and the policy
stuff requires this jar.

2) cxf-rt-transports-jms - with 2.3, this will bring full SOAP over JMS spec
compliance.

3) cxf-common-schemas - I personally thought this was required for anything in
CXF to work.  The fact that you have something working without it actually
surprises me.  :-)    It's certainly needed in some cases if schema validation
is turned on.

4) http-jetty - you're probably correct in that this wouldn't be required for
you.  It's small though.   I believe the osgi imports for stuff it needs are
marked optional.   I think with 2.2.6, there is also http-osgi which uses the
OSGi http stuff.

5) cxf-rt-databinding-xmlbeans/aegis - not required for JAX-WS compliance.
Semi useful though.  With 2.3, changing from JAXB to one of the others is just
a matter of adding a @DataBinding annotation.   No config or anything.   That
said, I'm not sure why xmlbeans is in the minimal bundle.   Probably shouldn't
be.   Aegis is needed for DOSGi which uses the minimal bundle.   2.3 also adds
an SDO databinding, but again, shouldn't be in minimal.

6) ws-rm - I'm honestly not sure why this is in the minimal bundle at all.  It
shouldn't be.

In anycase, fragments would be good if someone knowledgeable in the area would
like to help out with that.

> 3. how much is exposed unnecessarily if the individual jars were
> bundleized?

Unfortunately, they cannot be until we completely refactor things which would
break compatibility and not something we can really do until 3.0.     Bundle
fragments are a possibility.

> 4. Have we approached cxf about creating the appropriate bundles
> there?  Its pretty unlikely we will be ready to release g 3 before
> they do another release.

We definitely could.   I really need to start a discussion about the minimal
bundle though.  It's growing with each release and it's now not much different
than the full bundle.    2.2.6 actually adds JAX-RS in there as well.   Not
really "minimal" anymore.  :-(

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp