geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Jiang <genspr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion]Redesign of navigation system of geronimo Web console.
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:16:56 GMT
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2009, at 1:08 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Shawn Jiang <genspring@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jack Cai <greensight@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is great! Thanks Shawn!
>>>
>>> Some minor comments:
>>> 1. The performance of the tree is not ideal in FireFox. I know DOJO is
>>> not a performance sweet. Not sure whether we can do anything here.
>>>

>> Because the change to separate navigation from content page, the
>> navigation tree will be only loaded for one time.  So, this might not be a
>> problem.
>>

> Is it possible to describe how this works so that someone who doesn't know
> much javascript (me) can understand the principles?

I uploaded a demo flash movie here so that everyone can see how it works
without rebuild from src.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12428616/demo.swf

>>> 2. The color scheme looks a little gray. Shall we make them a little
>>> brighter?
>>>

>> I agree, we can improve the style after the function design is finalized.
>>

>>> 3. The filter box is cool. As I mention in another topic thread, we can
>>> put a default text "type filter text"
>>>
>> Right, I have not figured out a way to do this for now.  But I believe we
>> can do this.
>>

>>> 4. A small defect: after a function is launched through the filter box,
>>> the focus on the tree menu does not change right now.
>>>
>> Right, we need to improve the focus after the users launch the function
>> from the filter box.
>>

>>> 5. Can we support page refresh? Currently it usually show the welcome
>>> page after a page refresh.
>>>

>> Aha, I did not consider this problem.  Thanks for pointing this out !
>>

> I figured out a way to support this.  : )
>
> 1,  Maintain a map in the server side to keep key-->URL entrys.
>
> 2, When a tree item is clicked , the address bar will be rewriten with
> javacript code "window.location.hash=#{key}" without refreshing the whole
> page.
>
> 3, When the users refresh the page manually, the #{key} will be passed to
> the server to get the correct URL to display.
>

> I haven't had time to look at this yet.  However, this is sounding a lot
> like the client-side portal via javascript that jetspeed supports.  It might
> possibly be worth looking into what they are doing for ideas.

This is a typical ajax behavior.   Just like Gmail, when you click a mail,
the address bar is changed(added a hash) without refreshing the whole page.

--
Shawn