geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion]Redesign of navigation system of geronimo Web console.
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:51:05 GMT

On Dec 21, 2009, at 1:08 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Shawn Jiang <genspring@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jack Cai <greensight@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> This is great! Thanks Shawn!
>
> Some minor comments:
> 1. The performance of the tree is not ideal in FireFox. I know DOJO
> is not a performance sweet. Not sure whether we can do anything here.
>
> Because the change to separate navigation from content page, the
> navigation tree will be only loaded for one time.  So, this might
> not be a problem.

Is it possible to describe how this works so that someone who doesn't
know much javascript (me) can understand the principles?

> 2. The color scheme looks a little gray. Shall we make them a little
> brighter?
>
> I agree, we can improve the style after the function design is
> finalized.
>
> 3. The filter box is cool. As I mention in another topic thread, we
> can put a default text "type filter text"
> Right, I have not figured out a way to do this for now.  But I
> believe we can do this.
>
> 4. A small defect: after a function is launched through the filter
> box, the focus on the tree menu does not change right now.
> Right, we need to improve the focus after the users launch the
> function from the filter box.
>
> 5. Can we support page refresh? Currently it usually show the
> welcome page after a page refresh.
>
> Aha, I did not consider this problem.  Thanks for pointing this out !
>
> I figured out a way to support this.  : )
>
> 1,  Maintain a map in the server side to keep key-->URL entrys.
>
> 2, When a tree item is clicked , the address bar will be rewriten
> with javacript code "window.location.hash=#{key}" without refreshing
> the whole page.
>
> 3, When the users refresh the page manually, the #{key} will be
> passed to the server to get the correct URL to display.

I haven't had time to look at this yet.  However, this is sounding a
lot like the client-side portal via javascript that jetspeed
supports.  It might possibly be worth looking into what they are doing
for ideas.

thanks
david jencks